Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hail to the Sun God


Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~ Lao Tzu

This Solstice holyday marks a very important transition for me. One year ago today I completed my first full day of traveling across the country with my son, Nathan, towards Portland, Oregon. My west coast destination was to become my new home for several years or longer. The timing of my move was in part necessary, but also very deliberate. It was my intention to harness the strength of the Sun during midsummer to ignite my passion for this bold move into the unknown.
As I reflect on the meaning of celebration on the Summer Solstice, I look around me in the natural world and see everything coming into full bloom. Flowers are erect and colorful. The air is fragrant and intoxicating. The mountain rivers and streams are full and gushing. Soon there will be a fire ban to protect the deep green nurturing forests that surround me. Although the light within the days will begin to diminish, it is summer and the energy available is peaking. 
I have completed a year cycle here in the city. When I arrived in Portland I landed in a temporary home with an old friend from many years ago. She and her husband were very generous and gracious to offer me a place to live while I manifested a place of my own and some sort of employment. Her friendship helped stabilize me and gave me a reference point from which to expand. During last summer season, I manifested a beautiful new home and employment as a nanny. Once the days were noticeably shorter and cooler and the rains began to fall, I was moving about with intensity to gather as many resources as possible to sustain me through the dark, dreary months that were to come.
This past Winter I was at rest, focused on healing the chronic hip pain that had ensued from a previous physical injury and unattended emotional and mental anguish. It has been well over a year since I could hardly carry my body across the floor. My healing continues, though it has been slow and at times barely noticeable. Although I have cried in pain during sleepless nights, I have maintained an optimistic outlook. Recently, something has shifted. In addition to the weekly acupuncture, tuina bodywork and Chinese herbs that I committed to in the Spring, the warmth of the Sun has lifted my Spirit and has given me strength. I am walking through Nature again in its fullness and the recent change in my body reflects the power that lies deep within. It is time now to utilize the resources that have been gathered and to expand, bloom and allow what is to come into fruition, to ripen.

1 comment:

  1. I found you, Goose, but you are not there anymore, I think. My brother still lives in Washington State. I have no idea why I looked for you tonight, but I think I found the right place. Tried to call and left a message. Hope you are still well. We are getting old, aren't we? But I still feel like a kid and don't know what to be when I grow up. Question: Have you ever read anything by Elena Ferrante?

    ReplyDelete